Saturday, March 29, 2014

The LEGO Movie - Noodles Review


8.5 out of Noodles

    Everything is awesome! After watching this movie, that song will be stuck in your head forever. But that's okay because this movie was utterly awesome. I didn't really know much about this movie. It's relatively low-budget for a big animated release, and the trailers weren't very well done. I was forced, however, to take my kid sister to see this movie. I think I might've gotten more enjoyment from it than her though. When I was kid, I had tons upon tons of Legos and loved building them, playing with them, and displaying them (I even still have a couple on my shelf now). And this movie knows that we've all had or dealt with Legos at least once in our lives, and it plays upon that. I totally dug the animation style of this movie. It was totally done by computers, but the way it looks is as if someone took a camera and zoomed in on Lego people moving around in their cities. It's awesome because it addresses the physics of actual Legos and makes fun of it, as well as showcases the building of lego structures and such. And literally everything is made out of Legos: the waves of the ocean, the fire in an explosion, the clouds, everything. The LEGO Movie is about this absolutely average Lego guy named Emmet. He is literally the definition of an everyman character, because he's not spectacular in any way, he's got no skills, and he just lives his days conformed in the society. But one day, he finds an artifact called the Kragel which can ultimately stop the evil Lord Business. As a result, the Master Builders (a group of super Lego characters that can build anything out of anything, without instructions) take him on an extravagant adventure through the many Lego worlds.
   One thing I wanna touch on first is that there may've been too many worlds for this movie's own good, which made it feel a bit crowded. And they may be for two reasons: 1) because the movie has several writers, and 2) because Lego has licenses to use practically everything. That second reason also aids in making this movie great though. It makes so many pop culture references that I couldn't stop laughing and there were so many great Lego characters. The voice acting was stellar. Emmet was a perfect average joe. Morgan Freeman was great as the wise old guy whose name eludes me right now.Liam Neeson as the cop was awesome too. Batman was badass, and the other superheroes (who play lessers roles) were hilarious and a great addition. There's so many characters that I can't give recognition to all of them. However, one character, Wildstyle, the love interest of Emmet, was little off for me. She just didn't really click.
    The various characters made this movie hilarious, and so did the various pop culture references and funny physics of the Legos. There was one especially hilarious Star Wars-related moment that made me laugh out loud. And watching this movie, I thought it was a really good and funny kid's animation. But then the last 15-20 minutes of this movie kicked in and it became a great kid's animation. I coulda swore that the makers of this movie called up the writers of Toy Story 3 and said, "hey, finish this movie for us." It really hit you deep down and I liked that a lot. And almost a quarter of the year done, The LEGO Movie is so far the best movie of 2014. 8.5 out of 10 Noodles. 

So what's your favourite animated movie? I absolutely adore Toy Story 3 especially as it's one of those movies that can make me cry, but my favourite of all time is Finding Nemo. I can watch that movie everyday and love every second of it. It's hilarious and is a tale of great ambition so I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment