Friday, August 23, 2013

Ben Affleck is the new Batman!

This is probably the biggest news as of recent. I really don't know how I'm reacting to it but I'm just gonna write my thoughts. I like Ben Affleck a lot, especially with his recent work in Argo and The Town. The guy really knows how movies work; he's a good actor, a great director, and an Oscar-winning writer. We know that he's a big player in the film industry. But is he right for Batman? The first thing that's probably coming to everyone's mind is the atrocity that was 2003's Daredevil. A lot of people don't like that movie, myself included, but we can't completely blame Affleck for it. The movie's real downfall was the horrible writing and direction. Affleck had nothing to really build on. And we can also argue that he's had a couple other bumps along the road, like the absolutely terrible Gigli among others. But it's no doubt that Ben Affleck has redeemed himself after those years. I'm not saying that he's the perfect Batman but I really wanna see the guy succeed. I mean, he's bound to play a good superhero; he has the perfect superhero chin!
Another thing I'm interested in is how he's going to interpret Batman. The general public right now is more or less only familiar with the incredibly dark and grumpy Batman from the Dark Knight trilogy. A lot of people I talk to aren't even aware that there were other Batman movies before that, or even that the amazing Adam West show even existed. Now that there's another reboot of the character, it's interesting to speculate how the character will be done this time. Batman is a character with a lot of layers; he's damaged, he's rich, he contemplates whether the mask is the Batman cowl or the face of Bruce Wayne. There's a lot to go with, and Ben Affleck can be a diverse actor, so this could be his time to really shine. I personally think that he could actually play a good Bruce Wayne. He could fit the role really well, but putting on the cowl is the real story. Is he going to be a great Batman? I have no idea. He's played layered, angry characters before but the Caped Crusader is going to be difficult to pull off. I have faith in the guy but I'm not 100% just yet. However, I really hope that he can prove all the haters wrong (including the small shred of doubt that I have) and just wow us all as the new Batman. I guess we'll have to wait until 2015 to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment